Thursday, July 29, 2010

Herb Garden Gone Rampant!



Summer of Successful Herbs





Much to my surprise while we were in Florida, (more on this), taking our son, his wife, and their daughter, for a vacation to Kennedy Space Center and DisneyWorld, my herb garden grew into a monster! The "small" tomato vine which I planted overgrew the six-foot trellis, all the way back to the ground, with another six or seven feet of vine spreading everywhere in my garden and out of my garden. It has been most prolific, with thousands of perfect little tomatoes. I had envisioned a small plant with ample growth and a plentiful supply of tomatoes, but I did not expect the attack of the killer tomato vine!

The second photo is of my moonflowers - they are blooming every evening and are 4-6 inches in diameter. The heavenly scent floats on the night breeze. The plant is beautiful with its bright green, heart-shaped leaves and makes a wonderful addition to a Summer garden.

The remainder of my herb garden, including the extremely tasty Ichiban eggplant, have grown and produced in the same way. My lettuce is, as of now, (late July) beginning to be less tender, but it is still delicious. I intend to plant the same type next Spring. I am hoping, by leaving my lettuce in place, seeds will "volunteer" and give me a wonderful patch of Autumn lettuce.

My Spring and Summer herb garden project has been a big success!

Aine


No comments: